Looks like this event has already ended.
Check out upcoming events by this organizer, or organize your very own event.
Slow Food Indy Father's Day Picnic
Sunday, June 17, 2012 from 2:00 PM to 5:00 PM (EDT)
Directions to FarmIndy, Needham, IN
Once you leave the highway, look for brightly colored directional signs with arrows, adorned with the snail logo of Slow Food.
65 South to exit 90 Franklin/Shelbyville State Road 44. At end of exit ramp turn left (east) towards Shelbyville and go 4.0 miles, you will be on a small bridge crossing the Big Sugar Creek at this point. At the end of the bridge you will make a left turn onto 900W and proceed straight ahead for 2 miles farm is on the right. Please look for signs that read Slow Food Parking. Any lost or confused folks can call Todd at 317-517-4240 and we'll talk them in!
· We will be outdoors and there is not much in terms or structures or shade at the farm, so please bring hats, protection, and other coverings to deal with the elements.
· Because of the above, we will also need to postpone or cancel the event in case of inclement weather. The board will make the call by Saturday at noon so please check your email if the weather seems questionable.
· For the potluck, please use at least one and as many local ingredients as possible. We encourage the use of your own reusable plates, utensils (don’t forget a serving spoon/spatula for your dish!), and cups so that we keep the event as “green” as possible. Also try to bring small sign for your dish listing the ingredients or we will have some labels available at the welcome table.
· Entering the “Father’s Favorite Dish” is optional; a sticker will be placed on your dish to indicate participation. We have some really nice gift baskets from Local Folks Food, New Day Meadery, and Goose the Market for the top 3 winners. Culinary instructor Chef Thom England of Ivy Tech will head the judging.
· We will be providing some soft drinks such as iced tea and lemonade, but feel free to bring your own beverage to sip or share. There is no running water supply, so please bring some to drink if the day is hot. A portable toilet and hand washing station will be available.
· Planned activities include a hayride tour of the farm, sack races, a seedling/potting activity. Kites will be available to fly at your leisure. Board members will be wearing snail name tags, so please see us if you have ideas, suggestions, or would like to serve on a committee.
Want to do something fun and different with the family on
Father’s Day this year? Slow Food Indy is creating a FREE, fun afternoon out on the
farm, filled with hayrides, kite flying, fun kids lawn games, father's favorite dish
competition and more.
On Sunday, June 17, 2012 from 2-5pm at FarmIndy in Needham, IN, (DIRECTIONS WILL BE POSTED AS THE
EVENT NEARS) Slow Food Indy will set up for a pitch-in picnic. We invite everyone to come out with his
or her family to enjoy the day with local dishes and fun activities situated on wide-
open spaces at FarmIndy. There will be plenty of family activities that will cover all
ages, including tours of the farm where crews will be working in the fields so that
families can have an interactive experience.
Bring a dish to share and plates, cups and utensils for your family to use so
that we reduce the waste of this event. There will be non-alcoholic drinks available.
If the father in your life has a favorite beer or wine, please feel free to bring that to
complement the meal, or bring a growler or bottle or two to share.
Slow Food Indy wants to bring people together who enjoy local food,
community and farms. It is about spreading information on what is available around
Indianapolis and trying to make Good, Clean and Fair food available to everyone.
When & Where
Slow Food Indy
Slow Food Indy is the Indianapolis chapter of the International Slow Food
Movement. Slow Food is an idea, a way of living and a way of eating. It is part of a
global, grassroots movement with thousands of members in over 150 countries,
which links the pleasure of food with a commitment to community and the
environment. Slow Food Indy events are open to members and nonmembers alike
and membership is not prerequisite for participation.